09 October 2009

I Sang Today


"He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God,"
~Psalm 40:3

It's no secret - I've been off work battling an arthritic flare up - and it hasn't been fun at all!

What I'd hope to be just a couple of days off to recouperate quickly turned into 2 weeks. I couldn't walk, shift the position of my leg or turn over without wincing in extreme pain.  My daughter descended to the storage room to retrieve my walker- a souvenier from my knee replacement last year that I never expected to have to use again.  A couple trips to the doctor's (once with a wheelchair), try this treatment - not working?  - Try this one...  Finally, just as I was able to fold up the walker (hopefully for good, this time!) and graduated to the use of my cane (another relic I thought I was forever done with!), I was hit with a terrible head cold, which I couldn't treat with OTC meds as I was on steroids for a few more days yet.  Lots of sleepless nights, drowsey days, reading God's Word, crying out to him....

So, today as I was washing a few dishes, I heard the strangest thing...

I was singing!

The radio was playing an updated version of one of my favorite hymns - "It is Well With My Soul", by 4Him.  It was then I realized during the last couple of weeks of pain, I hadn't sung .. AT ALL.  Now, I don't have a pleasant singing voice - in fact, I have one good note - and it's real loooow!  But I do like to make a joyful noise unto the Lord! I wasn't even able to attend church last Sunday.  Oh how I missed singing to the Lord!





The next song played was "Cry Holy" by Salvadore.  And there's where complete worship began!  The next thing I knew, my soapy hands were raised, dripping dishwater on the floor, my eyes were dripping tears into the sink as I sang out to the Lord with all my heart!.




"Weeping may endure for a night,
but joy comes in the morning."

Psalm 30:4

0 comments: