06 December 2010

30 Days of Thankfulness Day#4

"This is the day the LORD has made;
We will rejoice and be glad in it. "
~ Psalm 118:24

Day #4

TGIM

That's right - TGIM - Thank God It's Monday!!
Why wait 'til Friday to thank Him?

Each day is a gift from Him.  And if Monday for you means up early and off to work for the start of a new week, you have an extra measure of thanks to give - because you are one of the 88% or so US citizens who HAVE a job to go to!

I do thank the Lord for the job I have.  I remember 10 years ago, I had been working temporary jobs for a couple of years and had finally landed an entry level mail room job in the government.  The pay was sooo looooww, I cried when I saw my first paycheck after deductions.  How was I going to send my daughter to college when my gross salary for one year was less than her tuition and room and board? 

But the Lord provided a way. Not only did Tiana attend and graduate from college, but so did her brother and sister right after her.

Soon after I began my entry level job (with benefits!), I landed a job with another branch of the government that was more suited to my skill level and I was able to more than double my income in a very short time.  It all started when I missed my bus one day and was late for work.  On the later bus, I met a fellow bus patron who I hadn't seen for a few years and we chatted.  She told me she had applied for this job and they were still taking applications.  In fact, that day was the deadline to apply for the civil service test.  She just "happened" to have a copy of the flyer with her.  I jotted down the phone number and the rest is history.  I sincerely love my job, even with the challenges (read - frustrations and stress) that come with it. If I hadn't missed my bus that day 9 years ago, I wouldn't be where I am now.  Tell me MY God doesn't work things out for the better to those who trust in Him! 

When people are curious as to why I love my job, I tell them it beats the unemployment line, and at least I work for the U.S. Government and don't have to be paid to carry a gun and have people shooting at me in a foreign land!  Most of all, it was, and continues to be, a gift from God!

TGIM!

(Lord,  help me to appreciate the Mondays as well as the Fridays, Sundays and all the days in between!)

0 comments: