09 December 2010

30 Days of Thankfulness; Days 6 & 7

DAY #6


"God thunders marvelously with His voice;
He does great things which we cannot comprehend.
For He says to the snow, ‘Fall on the earth’;
Likewise to the gentle rain and the heavy rain of His strength.
He seals the hand of every man,
That all men may know His work."
~Job 37:5-7
                               Cara took this picture outside our apartment

Lake effect dumped a foot or more of snow on Cleveland, making it an adventure getting home.  Traffic was gridlocked and many commuters sat in standstill traffic for hours trying to make it home. Most of the agencies in the Federal Building (except mine) began sending workers home at 1pm.  As I looked out the window at the MESS on the roads, I knew I didn't want to be a part of THAT, so I was happy to stay in and work.  By 5:30 the snow had not let up and the traffic was still standing. Long story short - I made my way to Tower City where I picked up a couple of calendars at Borders and hopped onto the Rapid Transit.  I ended up only arriving home about an hour or so later than I normally would have. 

I am thankful for the snow!
Yes, I know - people in Cleveland seem to hate snow - and they certainly don't seem to know how to drive in it (I've always wondered why they didn't pull up roots and move somewhere south!)
But...
If you don't have to drive in or shovel snow, you can find it to be most beautiful.  As my bus headed up the tree-lined hill, I couldn't help but smile at how beautiful all of the trees were with their snow-laden branches.
The real challenge was navigating the snow on foot.  I had to walk in the street until I came to the front of my building. I reached out for the fire hydrant and climbed through a foot and a half of snow to the unshovelled steps, trying to feel where each step began and ended through the deep deep carpet of snow.
And then,
at last...
The door opens
Cara laughs at my snowy appearance
as the warmth of the apartment hits my frozen face
and I am finally...
HOME!
DAY #7
I am thankful for my big clunky boots and my long, heavy coat!
And my nice warm apartment.
And a cup of hot chocolate with mini marshmallows.

She is not afraid of snow for her household,
For all her household is clothed with scarlet.
~Proverbs 31:21

~thank you Lord!

3 comments:

Relyn Lawson said...

Your habit of gratitude will do more than anything else to make your life rich and full.

Relyn Lawson said...

I know I'm not really getting my wishes in on time. The truth is, it's just after midnight, but I still had to come by and wish you the merriest Christmas season ever. I want to thank you for making my life richer by sharing your blog and by reading mine. You are a blessing to me. Merry, merry Christmas, my friend. May the coming week bring you laughter, joy, short returns lines, and lots of good deals at the after-Christmas sales. ;^) Much love, Relyn

Analia Cristina said...

Hi,beautiful photo!Me love the atc and altered too!