19 December 2009

Christmas Wish #3

Have a Creative Christmas!!


“ You are worthy, O Lord, To receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created.”
~Revelation 4:11

I am an artist. No, I don't get paid for my art, and you won't find my masterpieces hanging in the Louvre, but I am an artist just the same. And I bet you are too, even if you don't yet know it. You see, God created us in His image - and one thing we know about God, is that He is creative! When we consider the variety of food, plants, animals, people, stars, planets and colors! And as Tiana says, "God creates art in nature, and none of the colors clash!!"

This Christmas, I haven't really purchased any gifts for anyone, and I'm sure the same can be said for many people this year due to the "economic downturn" (read, "ain't got no money"!)

It's a good thing Christmas isn't centered around money and gifts and things, isn't it? ISN'T it! Wait a minute - in case you had to ponder that statement, let me get some backup from a well know philospher, Dr. Seuss.

“And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow,
stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons.
It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags.
And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before.
What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store.
What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.”

I have been having one of the best Christmas's yet and I believe it's because I stand in awe of the Creator who humbled Himself to come to Earth in the form of a helpless baby so He could make a way for me to be reconciled to Him.

Last night, I decided it was a good time to get started working on some gifts I was making for various members of my family. I am in process of making an army of wooden soldier clothespin ornaments;



Here are my "naked" soldiers.



Here they are "partially" dressed!  (hehehe)



When ever I sit down to do art, I feel so close to the Lord.  I truly believe it is a sacred time of worship! I believe there is the gift of creativity in every one of us.  Sometimes as we become adults, we put away our crayons and paint, and scissors and colored paper and glue, so we can "grow up" and put away "childish" things.  Or someone ridicules our attempt at something creative and we vow never to try again.  (Now that's a subject for a whole - nuther blogpost!)

But, I challenge you - create something.  Go on YouTube and find an instructional video for whatever kind of art that you find interesting.  Or - if that's too much, go to the dollar store- buy a coloring book, crayons and glittery gel pens and get to coloring!  (No worries, this time of year, the store clerk will assume you are purchasing a gift for a young loved one!  ;-) )   I dare you!!!

 

0 comments: